Lifeguarding Job Opportunities
Applying for a lifeguarding job has never been easier. Simply fill out our online application and we will contact you with more details about interviews and classes.
Click here to view our jobs board
Click here to sign up for a class, event, or interview
Hurry the summer will be here before you know it!
We require all of our lifeguards to be Red Cross certified. Below is a list of requirements and other information about the class.
PRE-COURSE SESSION TEST, COURSE REQUIREMENTS, AND PREREQUISITES
- Must be at least 15 years of age or older (at conclusion of course)
- Must swim 300 yards continuously using these strokes in the following order:
- 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick
- 100 yards of breaststroke
- 100 yards of either front crawl (using rhythmic breathing), breaststroke, or a combination of both
- There is not a time requirement for this skill
- Swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive to a minimum depth of 7 feet, retrieve a 10 pound object, return to the surface, and swim back to the starting point with the object. When returning to the starting point, you must:
- Hold the 10 pound object with both hands
- Keep your face above water
- There is a time requirement for this skill
Lifeguard Training Course Completion Requirements:
- Must attend all class sessions
- Must pass all pre-course water tests
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills
- Demonstrate competency in all three final skill scenarios
- Correctly answer at least 80% of the questions in each of the four sections of the final written examination
Items to bring:
- Loose clothing
- Bathing suit / swim trunks (please check with your instructor on what counts as appropriate swim wear)
- American Red Cross Lifeguard book **If you do not have this book, you will need to purchase one from the instructor. Each student must have their own current American Red Cross Lifeguarding book.
- Check or cash **Make checks out to BiState Pool Management
- Reading glasses if you normally wear them OR an extra pair of contacts
There will be a lunch break. You may leave the building or bring a sack lunch.